You are here
York Factory Explorer - Fur Trade History First Hand by Train and by Boat
Roundtrip from Winnipeg - 5 days - 4 nights group tour
TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 5, 2017 – SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 09, 2017
~SECOND DATES ADDED AND ONLY 6 SPACES REMAIN - CALL TODAY TO RESERVE TOUR SPACE(S)
Roundtrip from Winnipeg this 5 day, 4 nights this guided tour combines a Northern Manitoba rail journey and visit to isolated York Factory. Fur trade routes are viewed from the train’s windows (1 night and 2 days on the train each way) between Winnipeg and Gillam Manitoba where the group will stay for 2 nights. The highlight will be the Jet boat day trip from Gillam on the Nelson & Hayes Rivers reliving historic York boat routes - without all the paddling and pain! View the (failed) Port Nelson site with its long abandoned bridge and then immerse yourself in Hudson Bay Company heritage at York Factory’s 1831 built warehouse where the historic Fur Trade stays frozen in time and on display throughout the building and area. Watch for Beluga Whales in Hudson Bay and other wildlife when returning to Gillam to again overnight and return to Winnipeg by train. Package includes sleeping car space on the train, Gillam hotel stay, tour guide, local presenters, added heritage attractions, Thompson MB visit, A pre tour visit to Lower Fort Garry and welcome dinner, all meals, tour info kit and more.
WHAT THE TOUR INCLUDES:
* Day 1 - Tuesday - SEPTEMBER 05, 2017. - Assemble in the morning at Winnipeg's Union Station to check our luggage and then visit the Winnipeg Railway Museum for a special tour to learn about the rail heritage of Manitoba and region. Mid-Day scheduled departure from Winnipeg on VIA’s Winnipeg to Churchill, or more locally known - HUDSON BAY, train in your reserved sleeping car cabin and enjoy lunch and dinner on the train and the passing scenery of prairies and Riding Mountain National Park. Bon Voyage reception in the train’s lounge car for those in the group. The route travels just over the border into the province of Saskatchewan before returning to Manitoba on a Northerly direction towards Gillam. Overnight on the train
* Day 2 - Wednesday - SEPTEMBER 06, 2017. - Awake to different views of the boreal forest and Canadian Shield as the chef on board prepares breakfast . Stretch your legs on the platform in Thompson Manitoba and a planned visit to the community's HERITAGE NORTH Museum here before returning to the train continuing north to travel through isolated communities along our train's route. Make sure you have your camera ready as the train passes bird sanctuaries, large lakes and vast forests along the way all detailed in the route guide we provide for you. Last years group saw a great show of Northern Lights from the windows of the domed observation car. This evening, after arriving in Gillam, MB, we will check into our hotel with its spacious rooms.
* Day 3 - Thursday -SEPTEMBER 07, 2017 - This morning, after breakfast, we will transfer North from Gillam a short distance and board our tour boat in the Nelson River. We will look for wildlife and enjoy the scenery including the high banks of the ever widening river as we travel north to Hudson Bay. Planned visit to Gilam island where Sir Thomas Button and Crew wintered in 1612-1613 while exploring for Henry Hudson and the NW Passage where last years group saw Harbour Seals frolicking in the river. Also a rare opportunity to see the failed Port Nelson site to see the bridge and other infrastructure from the planned Northern terminus of the Hudson Bay Railway before the area was abandoned for the deeper harbour in Churchill, MB. From here we will travel into Hudson Bay and the mouth of the Hayes River to arrive and tour the historic York Factory site and have lunch here. Parks Canada site staff plan to provide Polar Bear security ( we saw 2 from the boat last year swimming in the bay) and answer questions while we visit the HBC Cemetery, walk the boardwalk on the grounds and of course visit the Depot Building with its displays of numerous artifacts (from beads to cannon balls) from the fur trade. After touring the site, that according to Travel Manitoba approximately only 100 people visit each yet,we will return to the boat and return to Gillam to enjoy dinner and overnight at our hotel.
* Day 4 - Friday -SEPTEMBER 08, 2017 - This morning we will board the southbound train and travel south enjoying the scenery from the train and all the meals on the train. Again there plans to be some time to enjoy Thompson Manitoba which they promote as the Wolf Capital of the World.
* Day 5 - Saturday - SEPTEMBER 09, 2017 - Awake this morning to the view outside your window of the fertile fields of the Red River valley for the scheduled train’s scheduled arrival back in Winnipeg this afternoon after a relaxing and unique, heritage, wildlife viewing and rail experience.
Let our knowledge of Canada's world renowned rail journey work for you. Those who reserve with us receive an industry leading detailed travel information kit with route guides, tickets, well located hotels, a variety of attractions, sights and activities, maps, travel info and more. Our detailed final itinerary has hints and suggestions for the benefit of your trip that we have learned over the years in our experience and listening to our customers. We look forward to sharing our passion for Canada by rail when you travel with us...
Pricing Details -YORK FACTORY EXPLORER Roundtrip from Winnipeg Manitoba:
Train Cabin for 2 - Per Person Double: $3,395.00
Per Person Single: $3,895.00
CONTACT US to RESERVE your space by EMAIL. or In North America, call us toll free 1-866-704-3528
* A $250.00 per person deposit is required to hold space and can be processed with Visa MasterCard or Agency Cheque
* Balance of tour cost to be paid on July 15 ,2017
* Price above is shown in Canadian Dollars prior to the Canadian Federal 5% sales tax called the GST.
* Additional pre-tour and post tour hotel stays in Winnipeg can be included.
* Not be responsible for late bookings if train or hotel space is sold out, highly recommend reserving early guaranteeing your travel dates.
* Complete itineraries and travel information kit will not be sent in advance.
* Questions can be answered by emailing us or call toll free 1-866-704-3528